Tuesday, November 2, 2010

say what????

This just makes me giggle...when someone asks me what our youngest two's names are..that's what i get....SAY WHAT???? and, don't think it offends me...it just makes me giggle a bit...then they will try and say it, and I've heard things as far off as..."did you say frank??" Ok, not that exact name,but you get the idea!!... They really arent that difficult...Ageze is pronounced..Ah.guh.zay,not to bad right?? And Tesfa is ...basically how it is spelled...Tes.fuh..that's it!! And  just in case you have wondered...we are planning on keeping their Ethiopian names...we have thought about giving them american middle names, but I'm even unsure about that....the first two weeks of being home, Ageze would call Tesfa..Toby!! I quickly realized they heard it off of "Alvin & the  chipmunks...Which made me then think, hmm....maybe they would prefer being called something a bit more "american"...but "Toby" came & went, and now we are back to Tesfa!! So, I feel confident sticking with their birth names...that's clearly who they are!!! Feel free to leave me your opinions,comments or suggestions on renaming older children!! Would love to hear your feedback!! xo kristen .....p.s. a funny from Tesfa (our 2 1/2 yr old) while in  wisconsin, we were starting a bonfire, and he said..."Nala(our dog) comie on!!!...puppy eat, mama..fire(pointing to the fire!!) So, he has obviously seen fried puppies!! Not our Nala though!!!

3 comments:

  1. I don't know exactly if I have a "position" on the naming/re-naming issue, per se. I have often thought that keeping an Ethiopian name is a respectful way of acknowledging the pre-existing identity of the child (individually and culturally), and those who named him/her. I have also liked the idea of adding a new name to reflect the addition of a new culture and family, and give the child a name of personal significance to the parents. And for names that are especially difficult or extremely different than anyone else in the family (or area), I wonder if using a more "integrated" name (or nickname) might be beneficial in some ways over the years (but then I also understand the decision NOT to do that, since there is nothing "better" about English names, and no reason to dismiss a name simply because it is not familiar). I have been reading an interesting adoption book lately, and the author's perspective was to change his children's names entirely to reflect their full integration into the new family and culture. Not sure I love that, but I get his point, I think. So...I suppose if I had to guess what I will be most likely to do, it would be to keep an original name and add one of our own choosing. And then call the child by whatever seemed most appropriate/suitable (also recognizing that age of the child is a factor to consider here). Hope you are able to come to a conclusion that makes the best sense for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fried puppies! Now THAT'S a culinary trend not likely to sweep the states!! :)

    I think they're names are adorable. My kids have "normal" names like Zoe, Ronin and Liam and people butcher those.... so.... whatever! Unique is a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say keep the ET names, give them an American middle name. When they are a little older they can go with whatever name they prefer to be called (first or middle). Some of my students go by their middle name and the next year they go back to their first name!

    Melanie

    ReplyDelete