Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 4: Embassy Interview

Day 4:

Pretty leisurely day today, which was actually really refreshing. Didn't have to worry about anything or wonder if we will make our flight on Wednesday.  Ariyat and I went on a day long trip with Biniyam, our hotel driver who is more of a friend now after 2 trips than a driver.  Him and I have discussed everything from his girlfriend problems to his desire to come to America.  I will truly miss our talks.  I had a list of small things to track down and they seemed to be on opposite ends of Addis, which was a blast going all over town. 

At 1:00, Ariyat and I headed to the US Embassy for our Embassy Interview date.  Ok, the title of the blog makes it seem like an in depth interview when really it consists of standing in front of a glass window and saying yes to like 3 questions and then walking out.  A little anti-climatic after a year long journey but uneventful seems to be a rarity in the adoption process and very welcomed. We headed back to Hotel where Ariyat and I had a celebratory piece of cake that she devoured.  So fun watching her enjoy herself. Her personality is really starting to come out.  The first few days, she was pretty calm and quiet just taking it all in.  Today she laughed and giggled and was such a refreshing sound.  We ended our last day eating Island Breeze, which is a great restaurant.  

At the end of the day I started to have a feeling that I remember from when we brought the boys home and it is excitement mixed with a little sadness in addition to that I started thinking about how this might be our last trip back for a few years..  See, I love the culture my kids are from and the people.  I want them to know it so badly.  So, when I think about them leaving all the beautiful things about Ethiopia, you can't help but feel a little sadness.  Kristen and I want them to be so proud of their culture, their people, their backgrounds.  We can't wait to bring all the kids back in the future and enjoy it together.



KC

4 comments:

  1. Love You! You did absolutely great. Very proud of all of you.... Proud of Our Kristen also. Know it was really hard for her too. Love you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know that same feeling of sadness well. Glad her personality is starting to emerge! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is she from Southern Ethiopia? If so which area? If you dont mind me asking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I were at Embassy at the same time yesterday (I was carrying our 6 month old boy and was with a rep from our agency who brought twins for another family) What got my attention first was your beautiful daughter. Then I told my husband "there's a dad here by himself" (I was definitely impressed!) Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete