Sunday, June 10, 2012

DAY 2: The Interview

Day 2:

Ariyat slept so well last night and when I woke up on my little twin bed, I opened my eyes to the most beautiful brown eyes starring back at me with a smile on her face.  She helped me pick out an outfit of course. (she was in the Care Center matching mode, yikes) but we got it figured out and she wanted to rock the hat today so that was fun.  After breakfast we headed to the care center to meet Ariyat's aunt for the birth family interview.  She is a slender tall young lady but very quiet. We all sat down and started talking which takes a bit with three different translations. Speaking of that, it is kinda funny because the translator will ask her the question that I had asked and she will respond with this seemed to be very in depth answer and while I am getting excited to get this long answer it gets translated down to a 2 word answer. But I felt like I got a lot of good information to share with Ariyat when the time is right and she wants to talk about it.  I did find out that Ariyat's mothers name was Ariyat so I love that she has that.  It did get hard though when I asked if there was anything she wanted Ariyat to know when she asks in the future and I could see her aunts eyes well up with tears as she gave me a heart felt answer.  Anyone that knows me, knows that if I see someone cry I have a hard time.  So I was sitting there telling myself, "suck it up you big baby"  didn't know how a crying man would go over in that situation. But it was such a relief to know that I have that to share with Ariyat.  After that I was thinking that the emotional part was over only to have to watch Ariyat and "O" say there goodbyes.  Ariyat had been at the care center with a group of girls that were all around the same age and had arrived together.  Over the past 2-3 months those girls have been united with their forever families but now it is down to Ariyat and "O" and you could see the sadness all over "O"'s face.  I just wanted to take her with us. 

During the afternoon, we went to Lucy's which is my favorite restaurant in Addis Ababa.  After that we went back to the hotel where I crashed while Ariyat watched Tangled twice.  Then finally the phone rang, Brad and Kathleen called to ask us to supper with them at the Makush and it was so nice to get out of the room and love looking at the art. 

I am very excited for tomorrow morning, Ariyat and I are going to visit Jemo which is our care sight that our church sponsor thru Hope Chest.  Look forward to telling you more.



KC

1 comment:

  1. Brad and I loved having dinner with you and your beautiful girl last night. Hope to get together again before we leave.

    ReplyDelete