Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Ethiopia: May 9th-11th

Wow, I'm realizing it's much easier to blog about the birthdays, vacation, sun-shiny days...those memories & thoughts about each particular event seem to flow so easily. Feeling a tad convicted, I guess. It has taken some time & will continue to..the processing that comes after I've left Ethiopia, returning to the states. I mentioned to a friend... for me, putting my experience/thoughts/feelings/emotions into words often feels so inadequate after being in Ethiopia. Not that I don't have anything to share about our recent trip, I do. It just takes time for me. It hits me hard every time. The sights, sounds, smells, needs, joy, poverty, happiness in the midst of their daily trials, kids that are hungry, lack of basic necessities, smiles on their beautiful faces... I lay awake thinking about their faces. each & every one of them.

Getting back on track...we left for Ethiopia around 1 pm from our local airport. 14 of us from our church went on this mission trip...a good combination of ages & personalities!! (just because you don't go to our church or live here in Bismarck does not mean you shouldn't consider coming along for the next mission trip!!..you wouldn't regret it & I promise, you'll never forget it!!) We flew from Bismarck to Denver, Denver to D.C....We arrived in D.C. late on the 9th, stayed overnight in a nearby hotel & awoke early on the 10th for a early direct flight to Ethiopia! It was our 1st time flying Ethiopian Airlines & we were so very pleased!! After an 11 hour flight to Ethiopia, we arrived around 7:30 am(ET time) on Saturday the 11th...11:30 pm on Friday the 10th for the rest back home!!
Once we went through the visa line, customs, exchanging $$ & collecting alot of luggage, we were on our way to our guest house!! We stayed at The Ember Guest House...with a "my house is your house" type of feel:) Very friendly people, great food, beautiful rooms, plenty of space & located in a nice area which was also fairly close to Jemo!! We freshened up a bit & then made our 1st drive over to Jemo with Hilena & Fikre( Childrens Hopechest staff in Ethiopia!) & Solomon(our excellent & patient driver for the week!) It was a joy getting to know each one of them..gracious, hospitable, organized, loving & the list could go on!! The past couple of trips to ET, when having to come back home, I have always felt like we were leaving family...this time felt no different!! The emotions were present & strong. Grant had a really hard time saying good-bye. Our boy loves & he loves to the core. I love that about him. Oops, why am I already taking about the "leaving" part?! Rewind....

Waiting in Denver!!
 Grant & Ashlee.
 Mike.
 yummy food on the long flight:)
 Grant, me & my awesome dad!
 Almost there!!
 {African sunrise}
 Jim!! (grant was coming unglued when he took this picture...he could hardly believe that someone would actually wear the eye thing!!)
 Colin!
 Alicia & Chad!
 Fran:)
 Sierra! 
 Chantalle! (married to Jim, the eye mask guy!!)
 My dad!
 Troy. Our team leader!!
 Donna!! 

So, we made the drive to Jemo, not knowing if kids would be there or not...we were going to Jemo to meet the leaders & take a tour around Jemo & its neighborhood! I hadn't even given it any thought if we were to see & meet our sponsor daughters/sisters or not...Grant & I walked through the gates & 2 precious little faces came running up to us..."Kreesten,"Kreesten!!!" Here they were, our 2 little girls whom our family sponsors...they knew us from the pictures we have sent them in the past 7 or so months. Sponsors: send your child pictures!! They recognized us right away & there was an immediate connection & we were inseparable the rest of the week:) Hand in hand, we walked, all 4 of us. What a privilege it was to meet the Jemo leaders..beautiful, beautiful people. After shaking many hands, exchanging hugs & playing with the kids, we were offered a most delicious & welcoming coffee ceremony!! What a great first day at Jemo!!

Grant!!
 guest house.
 Grant, Yordanose, me & Betelehem(our sponsor daughters!)
 Greeting us!!
 My dad & friends!!
 Look at those faces!!!
 {Beautiful Hilena}
 grinding the coffee beans!! She was a precious lady!

 Jim & friends!!
 Touring Jemo...
 Coffee ceremony time!

After leaving Jemo, we went to a restaurant (forgot the name!) with a beautiful view of the city, delicious food & great company!! We then made our way up Entoto Mountain with a stop at the Former Firewood Carriers Assoc. I couldn't come home without a few new scarves!! It was a beautiful, clear sky kinda day for the mountain!! We ended our first day by eating at The Island Breeze!! (one of my favorites!!) We were all anxious for a restful nights sleep & ready to take on the week!!!
(this is obviously a very condensed version! now, lets get to the pictures!!)
beautiful view!
 Our team & fearless leaders, Hilena & Fikre.
 Grant & my dad!
 Baboon..monkey..??
 "our team"
Hope you enjoyed our adventure over & our first day In Addis!!!
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment