Monday, January 27, 2014

Why We Follow Him

This might be a long read but I hope it's worth it for you. It was a very exhausting day yesterday. It's hard to explain the joy I felt yesterday at Jemo followed by the deepest sadness I can remember feeling. 

I started out the morning attending an awesome church service, the message to the Ethiopian congregation was about being mission minded and giving to others. I remind you that these people have nothing but yet at every opportunity they give of themselves. It reminded me why I fell in love with Ethiopia. I was invited up on stage and was asked to speak. Like Kristen said I get very nervous, but I spoke about how only God's love can bring two cultures so different together to form one family. The whole time I am thinking, if these people only knew how they have changed my families life. 

I then had the best time hugging our girls. They were happy to see me but it was very clear that Kristen was the one they really wanted to see. ha I love it though! She is such a nurturing woman, so I totally get it. 

Ok, so this is where my heart sinks... After the girls ran off I met with the director and Fikire to discuss a boy that Kristen had asked me to check on. The decision was made to bring him in so that I could see him. I was not prepared to see what I was about to see, even with the description Kristen had given me. As the boy walked in I could see how scared he was along with the pain he was in. I assured him the best I could that it was ok. They asked him to lift his shirt and OH WOW is the only thing I could muster up to think along with a gut wrenching feeling. They proceeded to ask him to lift his pant leg and that is when I almost broke into tears. His body looks as I can only describe as flesh eaten and raw, covering 100% of his lower body from waste down. Only a picture would explain the horror I was seeing. When I looked at his sweet face I saw a child that's spirit was broken. His pride shaken to the core. It was like I was looking into his soul. I can't shake the image. Honestly, I don't want to!!! I asked for permission to take photos, sent them to Kristen and our wonderful friend Lynne who is trying to get them in from of a dermatologist. I could not help but think, if this boy is not helped he will not be with us in a year or so. It was that bad. 

So when, people ask us why we want to go to Ethiopia. Today is why!!! How can I turn my back on that. 

Kasey 

www.87Africa.com

No comments:

Post a Comment